Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tracking my flight back from Johannesburg


Was quite a day today with the CAA arriving to inspect my plane in Johannesburg for training purposes and then getting back to Durban with the south-wester that was brewing a storm, the weather changing en route. I had to divert from my routing to Ladysmith and Pietermaritburg to route instead to Eshowe then getting to the coast around Tugela and come down the coast to Virginia. The clouds were rolling in and by the time I got to the coast the clouds were down to 500ft, so if you have a look at the tracking of my plane you will see I actually overshot the coast and had to head back in from the sea to reach the coastline.
 
I flew up yesterday so that the plane's 400 hour service and annual inspection could be completed in time for the CAA inspection and for me to get home before it got too dark. As it was, I only got to leave Johannesburg at 3pm and landed in the dark at 6pm. Richards Bay had already been declared IMC but I requested a 500 ft routing in on a cross-country flight and the visibility improved along the coast as I transited through King Shaka airspace to Virginia. I will load more pics tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment