Sunday, January 12, 2014

Up and down the coast

Umhlanga just after take-off from Virginia

Umdloti, a few kms north of Virginia/Durban

The north Durban coastline

North Durban in the King Shaka International controlled space.. they keep a beady eye on you as you fly at 500ft past the tower along the coast, and 800 ft returning.

I was going down the coast to Margate this morning, but my passengers bailed on me and then I found out the coffee shop/restaurant at the airport has closed down, which totally scotched plans for brunch there.

So I had to make do with the cabbage-patch up to Ballito and back twice, a touch-an-go at King Shaka International and a couple of glide-approaches back at Virginia. The wind was pumping, so I was keen to see how far out to sea you could go and still do a 180 deg turn and make the shore to land upwind without the engine, in the event of a failure. Both of mine were well judged and I made it to the runway which runs parallel to the shore. The temps were up in the 30s c, so it was pretty hot on the ground and a sweaty day flying, but fun.

2 comments:

  1. I'm about to start training at LightFlight and it's your posts and pictures that definitely keep me excited and inspired about flying! Next time your passengers bail on you and you want company, just holla! In the meantime, clear skies :) and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, good luck. My numbers 083-7033329. Give me yours and I will keep in contact for future flights.

      Delete