Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting ready for cross-country



Flying over Grassroots with Light Flight behind 

Getting ready for my first dual cross-country I have been flying in to the neighbouring airfields - Emoyeni, Grassroots, Rob Mirtle and back to Light Flight ... all within 5kms of each other. It's a process of learning to recognise an airfield from the air and adjusting to the different altitudes of each field but recognising the height from the ground for landings.

I have also been studying the aeronautical charts for the area and plotting the different airfields. My landings are coming along slowly but there is progress.

Chart of the Durban TMA

Noel takes a pic of me flying

Right downwind Runway 01
 Doing circuits at Light Flight I am now right downwind for Runway 01, trying to get my landings right in preparation for Tuesday's cross-country to Richmond, Ixopo, Fredenheim, Margate, Scottburgh and back to Light Flight. This also takes us into several frequency zones as we change from the uncontrolled general flying area in the Pietermaritzburg general flying area, as well as Margate controlled space and back out again.
The flight will take about 2 hours and I have been preparing my first flight log... drawing vectors for anticipated wind, ground speed, distance and flying time, as well as fuel consumption and anticipated totals and reserves.
Taking off from Light Flight 01


No comments:

Post a Comment