Friday, April 19, 2013

Venturing out into the dark

The sun sets and the moon rises over ZDL at Pietermaritzburg






Pietermaritzburg airport under the setting sun and moonlight

Rounding Durban harbour the city comes into view
Now that I have my night rating and have done a few coastal flights it was time to venture inland. As the darkness can be very disorientating, I wanted to fly to Pietermaritzburg while it was still light, then make a night flight back to my home turf. I needed to file a flight plan for the journey back and, as Virginia airport was closed for the night, had to get my flight plan "search and rescue" contingency arrangements cancelled by King Shaka Airport when I landed.
I imagined that the route to Durban would be one big black hole but I was actually surprised at the carpet of lights all the way. It's incredible how development has taken place joining the two cities. I did notice though that mountains disappear in the darkness and we could not even see Alverston mast.. quite scary what you could be flying towards in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment