Thursday, February 14, 2013

First flight into King Shaka

Wow, hey guys, poor ZDL has been parking in the hangar waiting for an awesome night like last night to get out for my night cross-country. Last night was just perfect and my instructor Warren and I set off at twilight making our way to King Shaka and then off to Richards Bay


This was my first and long awaited visit to King Shaka from the pilot-seat and as you can see I was flying straight in "flying the papi" as one might say. The papi is a clever lighting system that shows whether you are flying in on the correct slope for a good landing - all red lights means you are too low, all white lights means too high and half white/half red means you are on a perfect slope.



Coming in for a perfect landing at King Shaka. Initially quite intimidating, especially when the AirTraffic Controller (ATC) said I must look out for an AirBus at my 10 o clock position at 1000 feet... couldn't see any plane at all!!! But the approach and landing were all quite simple, more so because I did a touch and go, so no handing over to Approach, Tower, Ground and Apron control... whew!

We were also white water rafting... almost.


Trying a VOR to Richards Bay, with the harbour on the EFIS clearly coming up.. see the small image of the plane on the screen showing our position.


I'm looking a bit dozy after landing in Richard's Bay, but just needed this pic to show you I made it there in a Sling!! ZDL rocks!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment