Saturday, August 6, 2011

Back to the drawing board


One of my flying instructors, Brad (centre) pops around for a drink and a braai with Llewellyn (right) and myself (left). This helped me re-focus after failing the Navigation exam yesterday and today it's back to the drawing board. I have Mets and Aircraft General next week as well as a re-write of Navigation on Friday.

It's definitely do-able, just needs me to refocus on that horrible  Whizz wheel thing I only bought this week for some of the calculations needed for the exam. I prefer to understand a concept and then manually calculate the answers using the formulas I know. Anyhow I never got to use the Whizz wheel in the exam and preferred to draw out the wind vectors with my protractor and did some angle measuring. Not good enough to pass but will get there with a bit more practice this week.

For Mets I have been doing some reading on some of the strange abbreviations you find to describe weather in Metars (Meteorological Aerodrome Reports) - here they are, with acknowledgment to Darren Smith who did the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment